My Photo
Name:
Location: West Chester, Ohio, United States

Friday, March 20, 2015

Finding Our Way

On yesterday's post, I finished with scheduling the gamma knife surgery. We met with an oncologist who would be part of the gamma knife team a week prior to the procedure, March 5th. She and her nurse thoroughly explained the procedure and possible side effects, then prescribed some medications for my dad to take prior to the surgery. We were told to arrive by 6:15 am on March 12th, my niece's 18th birthday. I won't go into the details of the procedure, although I do have some funny pictures of my dad from that day. The head gear that was screwed into his skull was an amazing feat of engineering, but not exactly fashionable. It was a tremendously exhausting day. I was thankful to have friends come to the rescue to help pass the time and even bring lunch! After three MRI's they proceeded. Three, because one of the fourteen identified tumors was very close to the optic nerve. I am thankful they took the time to triple-check their measurements. I'm not sure, but I think my dad probably did better than any patient they've ever had, but of course I'm biased. He was a trooper! I could feel God's peace surrounding us that day and he had no adverse side effects, which was an answer to prayer.


Part of the story I neglected to tell you earlier, is about scheduling an appointment with a melanoma specialist at the James Cancer Center at OSU. The day after his staging diagnosis, I called to see if I could get an appointment there. It would be two weeks before they could see him, but that put us just past the gamma knife surgery. So, four days after gamma knife and with a surprise companion, we made a journey to Columbus. The surprise was that my brother, who lives in Chicago, called the day before and let us know he would be home to go with us. Needless to say, we were thrilled. The staff and doctors were phenomenal there. As a result of being directed to the James, we ended up right back in Cincinnati. How did that happen? I believe God sent us to Columbus to help expedite the process in Cincinnati. In speaking with the OSU oncologist, we found that we have a renown melanoma specialist right here in Cincinnati who could offer all the same treatment options as they would have away from home.

Because of this OSU appointment, before we even got back down the highway, we received a call from the recommended oncologist and got an appointment for the next day. We had been familiarized with treatment options at OSU, so we were prepared for two or three possibilities...traditional chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and a BRAF inhibitor medication. He tested negative for a BRAF genetic mutation, so we were left with chemo or immunotherapy. I had been doing a substantial amount of reading since his diagnosis and my dad was opposed to traditional chemotherapy. The response rate with stage four melanoma is not good with chemo and it is debilitating, so immunotherapy is the treatment we are pursuing. Basically, he will receive four treatments, each one twenty-one days apart. The drug is administered by infusion and is supposed to stimulate my dad's own immune system to fight the cancer. 

So, now you are up-to-date. His first infusion will be Friday, March 27th. There are possible side effects, but generally, those do not show up until after the third infusion, if they happen at all. Please pray that his immune system will be up for the fight and that there will be little or no side effects. He has been enjoying the cards and notes of encouragement and the many other ways you are all supporting us in thought, in deed, but especially in prayer. We know our Heavenly Father hears every one! We are looking forward to a few peaceful days ahead this week, with my brother and his family visiting this week, before my dad's infusion on Friday. I will post an update after that. In the meantime, keep those prayers coming!

Isaiah 40:28-29

28 Hast thou not known? hast thou not heard, that the everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, fainteth not, neither is weary? there is no searching of his understanding.

29 He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home