Does God Only Give Us What We Can Handle?
During the last few weeks, my family has been passing around a prolonged respiratory virus. We were being very careful not to pass it on to my Daddy, because he has been dealing with so much connected with his cancer. Unfortunately, he came down with the virus. Over the weekend, he was running a fever and not sleeping much because of coughing. I was beginning to wonder if he had pneumonia or bronchitis. However, Monday, he began to show some improvement. His fever returned to normal and his coughing was less persistent. He continues to struggle with cancer fatigue, shortness of breath, and lack of appetite, so please pray specifically that he will be strengthened and be able to eat well.
I have often heard it said that God does not give us more than we can handle. I believe that is derived from I Corinthians 10:13, where scripture says, "No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape,that you may be able to bear it." While I am open to discussion of this scripture, I believe this strictly applies to temptation (I'll have to check with Michael about the Greek). If I believe this interpretation and I ponder the last several years of my life, I might begin to deceitfully think, "Wow! God must think I'm Wonder Woman! He apparently thinks I can handle so much!" Of course, this would be profoundly wrong, because I am far from being Wonder Woman. Just ask my boys! They would want to know where my cool invisible jet is parked.
The truth is, I cannot handle any of this! On my own, in my own strength, I just can't! When I try to get through things on my own, I stumble, I fall, and some days I curl up in the fetal position and bury myself under my covers. Everyday, before I place my feet on the floor next to my bed, before anything else enters my mind, I am reminded I cannot do this on my own...
Lord, I need You to help me move my arthritis-stiffened body, I need You to help me love my family, I need You to help me love my Daddy's cancer and to try to understand what his cancer is teaching me. Lord, You have given me way more than I can handle, but it is certainly what You can handle...it always is. You give me the strength to get through each and every moment.
Below is a link to a post by Jon Bloom, president of Desiring God, called "Why God Gives Us More Than We Can Handle". He presents one of my favorite Biblical examples and I hope you have time to read it:
| Artist: | Stephanie Buscema (Painter) |
![]() |



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home