The Grass is Greener
Once spring has sprung (even with frosty mornings), the grass getting greener heralds the return to yard work...weeding, pruning, mulching, trimming, and cutting the grass. For some men, this is a chore, a time-consumer, a never-ending battle against spring's new growth. For my Daddy, however, spring initiates the enjoyable return to life on the tractor. He may contradict, but he loves cutting the grass. With cancer fatigue, he has not been able to return to his favorite past time this year. He spectates from the porch or bedroom window while we circle the house.
Previously, I was never involved with mowing on the farm. It's Daddy's love. In a pinch, Dave or the older boys would help out, but I never did. Plus, I've always liked flowers, veggies, and dirt. I even like the worms I find when I dig in the dirt. However, when the need arose for an heir to the tractor, I pushed the boys aside and commanded them to stand back as I started the mower. After several failed attempts, Mark had to give me a tutorial. Once I got the hang of it, though, there was no looking back. After my first attempt left too much thatch, I began dreaming of mowing patterns, and more efficient mowing patterns.
To my Daddy's chagrin, because I am still "his little girl", I am now the mowing queen. I am enjoying the solitude on the tractor. It gives me time to pray, time to praise, and time to ponder. I now understand why my sweet Daddy has always enjoyed this so much. When he starts feeling better, he may have to wrestle the tractor away from me.
Speaking of feeling better, my Daddy has perked up a little these past couple days. He had a treatment on Thursday, which went well, but they found he needed some oxygen. For my next post in a few days, I will relate the story of the oxygen delivery. Needless to say, there is never a dull moment here. How could there be with my Daddy, my hubby, four of our boys, and our dog around? Pray that my Daddy's appetite will increase and that he will continue to be strengthened. Hopefully, he will be back on the tractor soon...and I promise not to wrestle him for it...the first time!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home